Top 10 Best Bird Photography Lenses
Are you interested in birding photography? Birds are one of the most fascinating subjects in nature photography. Capturing them, though, can be quite challenging. The best lenses for bird allow you to capture the animals without disturbing them.
What to look for before buying your SLR camera lens for birding photography? A longer-than-400mm lens is the best for wildlife photography. You should never overlook the importance of the focal length. The greater the focal length, the greater the magnification of the lens will be.
Thanks to the advancement in photography, our cameras can capture video and sound of a bird and its song.
With our recommendations of the best bird photography lenses, you’re up your game.
A List of Top 10 Best Bird Photography Lenses
CANON 400MM IS II
This lens features advanced build and unique elements that normally reduce distortion. Presence of special coating in this lens prevents the lens from becoming flare and blur. It is good to know that this lens has been designed with numerous features. This means that you will always have detailed and rich photos.
In addition, this lens is the perfect choice for shooting outdoor scenes. Stabilization features make the camera to appear as if the shutter speed is higher.
- Over 28% lighter than its predecessor and now the lightest lens in its class, the EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM
- Features Fluorite optics that deliver sharper images with less chromatic aberration
- A newly-developed Fluorine coating
- With a third Image Stabilization mode (Mode 3)
- Eeasy panning and is ideally positioned for professional action photography
- A new security slot for wire-type security locks
- Dust and water sealing
NIKON 400MM VR
Although it is not lens with the highest zoom capabilities, it is among the lenses that have been manufactured with the longest range. The extreme versatility allows you to experiment from your style. It is good to keep in mind that you have the freedom to photograph birds from far in parks.
Similar to top lenses in the market, this product boasts of 4 shutter speed stops. All these features will be of great help more so when it comes to improving the autofocus.
- Super-fast, telephoto lens, optimized for edge-to-edge sharpness on both the Nikon FX- (23.9 x 36mm) and DX-format image sensors
- Vibration Reduction (VR II)
- New tripod detection mode reduces vibration
- Nikon’s Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables ultra-high-speed
CANON 400MM 5.6L
Do you know that it is the only lens that features lightweight in its design? This means that you can easily operate this lens from outside. Away from that, it has emerged as an ideal choice simply because it is dust-tight.
With that in mind, you don’t have to worry about harsh humid conditions. All that you need to know when purchasing this lens is that it is faster and will provide better background blur.
- Lens construction: 7 elements in 6 groups
- Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM
- Diagonal Angle of View: 6° 10′ .
- Fluorite and Ultra-low Dispersion-glass; internal focusing; full-time manual focus
- Closest Focusing Distance: 35m / 115 ft
- Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 400mm 1:56
- Filter size: 77mm
NIKON 500MM 5.6VR
Unlike most lenses in the market that focuses on the sharpness of the images, this lens specializes in exposure control. Normally, the aperture mechanism provides a lot of control. You will have great photos when you are shooting continuously. It is every person’s dream to capture the moments without scaring the subject away with noise.
Before purchasing, you should be aware that this lens is prone to color fringing. Lines will appear in the areas of contrast.
- A fraction of the size of most full-frame 500mm lenses
- Specially designed Phase Fresnel (PF) lens element enables a compact design
- Vibration reduction (VR) image stabilization for sharper and steadier
- Durable construction with advanced weather sealing, internal focus and Nikon nonstick fluorine coating
TAMRON 150 VC USD
It has the largest zoom in the market. Being perfect for bird shooting, you can shoot far into the sky or zoom into the nest. You don’t have to control the exposure. It has been designed in a way that the optical elements don’t move. This not only conserves weight but also space.
This lens has been used over the years to provide great performance. Moreover, this lens comes with high vibration.
- VC (Vibration Compensation)
- Minimum Focus Distance : 2.7m (106.3in), Focal Length : 150-600 mm
- Moisture-resistant build
SONY 400MM GM OSS
If you have been looking for a durable lens that will provide great resolution, then you are in the right place. Do you know that you can use this lens with the full-frame mirror less cameras? The best thing about this lens is that you can adjust the zoom ring. In that case, you should pick a zoom and stick with it.
The highly regarded lens complies with the anti-smudging coating. In addition, you will have an easy time when carrying it around.
- World’s lightest 400mm F2.8 super-telephoto lens
- Linear motors for fast, precise, quiet AFG Master quality with superior focusing speed up to 20Fps
- Balanced weight eliminates “front heavy” nature of similar lenses
SIGMA 300MM 5.6 APO
Have you been looking for a third party lens with great color fidelity? You should consider purchasing this lens. It reduces the risk of aberration. This lens functions as a tele-macro lens. What does it mean? You can either zoom into the distance or zoom into the close up of a bird.
You will never notice any sign of flare in your images. Moreover, you can use this lens with many cameras.
- Optimized for use with digital SLR cameras
- Multi-layer lens coating and lens design reduces flare and ghosting
- Minimum focusing distance is 37.4 inches at all zoom settings
- Features 14 lens elements in 10 Groups
- High-performance lens ideal for portraits, sports photography, nature photography
SONY 200MM OSS
It is one of the greatest members of the popular G masters series. The optical design is quite like the original lens. The sharp and clean photos will catch the professional’s eye. The only downside is that this lens has a small zoom range. Also, the magnification is less when compared to the popular lens.
It features a better aperture range that gives you faster shutter speeds. Additionally, it’s great in low light conditions.
- Aspherical elements & 11-blade circular aperture for gorgeous bokeh, Min. focus breathing and par focal design ideal for video, Direct coupled mechanical focus system for precise manual focus
- Rigid build with constant lens length during focusing and zooming
- High performance Optical Steady Shot Image stabilization
- Dust and moisture resistant for robust reliability
- Nano AR coating suppress reflections, flare and ghosting, XA (extreme aspherical) element with 0.01 micron surface precision
FUJIFILM 400MM OIS WR
It is an improved version of the previous lens. This lens comes with many features. The twin linear motors mean that the performance of the auto-focus is much better. It is among the very few lenses made with better image stabilization.
Unlike many lenses in the market, this model is compatible with most mirror less cameras. Besides these features, there are different zoom and focus features.
- 21 elements 14 groups (includes 5 extra low dispersion elements and 1 super extra low dispersion element)
- Focus range : 1.75m, Max.magnification : 0.19x (Telephoto)
- 5 -Stop Image Stabilization System
- Filter Thread: Front: 77 mm.Angle of view:16.2°- 4.1°
- Water and dust resistant
- Removable tripod mount
FUJINON 4.8 LM OIS
You can mount the standard telephoto lens onto mirror less cameras. This lens will easily reduce chromatic aberrations. It will reduce magenta lines along with the areas of contrast. Be assured that you will have sharp images and decent control over the depth of field.
The coatings in this lens improve the photo color distortions. The extreme stabilization minimizes the color shake. All in all, this is a durable lens that will be worth your money.
- Built with optical design
- Image stabilization function: shutter speeds 4.5 stops slower
- sing high-performance glass lens elements throughout
- Containing two ED lens elements, including one Super ED lens element
- Sharp and crisp image description across its entire zoom range