Top 10 Best Monopods for Video
Are you looking to enhance your passion for video shooting? If so, consider investing in the best monopod for video shooting with your DSLR camera. A monopod, also known as a unipod, provides excellent support for your camera, particularly when capturing sharp shots with long focal lengths. If you prefer a more portable option than a traditional tripod, a lightweight monopod is the perfect choice. Monopods are highly beneficial for both video and still photography.
Here are some tips on how to use a monopod while traveling:
- Extend the monopod until the camera is at eye level.
- Securely grip the monopod with your hand, using the wristband for added security.
- Always keep the monopod in a vertical position.
- Extend the monopod starting from the thickest tube to ensure optimal stability.
A monopod is an invaluable tool for travel photographers, providing a versatile alternative to a tripod, especially for capturing sports, wildlife, and street photography, among other genres. The stability offered by a top-rated monopod rivals that of a tripod, but with the added advantages of being faster to set up and more practical to use. As a one-legged support, monopods are smaller, lighter, compact, and easy to carry, making them ideal for photographing fast-moving subjects.
Whether you’re a travel photographer or a landscape enthusiast, a monopod is a popular gear choice. To help you make an informed decision before purchasing this valuable accessory, here are some of the best monopods available on the market this year. These monopods excel in both video and still photography, offering the following features:
- Fast and lightweight: Constructed with carbon fiber materials, ensuring both speed and portability.
- Strong and sturdy: Designed to withstand the demands of travel, wildlife photography, sports photography, and videography, even when using heavy lenses.
By selecting the right monopod from this list, you can elevate your photography and videography skills while enjoying the convenience and stability this accessory provides.
A List of Top 10 Best Monopods for Video
Sirui P-326 Monopod
It is a great accessory which can be obtained for an amazing price. A very high quality lightweight, the Sirui P-326 Monopod is very sturdy for support in stream crossings. The product features include:
- Weighs approximately 0.9 pounds
- Supporting up to 22 lbs
- 6 leg locks
- Easy to adjust
- Good design and build quality
- A little short and unstable for tall photographers and heavy camera
Gitzo GM-2562T Series 2 Monopod
This is a lightweight and compact monopod considered to be an excellent travel companion. Canon photographers can use this with EOS 5D mark III fitted with 100-400 lens or 70-200 lens.
- G-Lock leg logs for extra strength
- Strong and light carbon fiber tubes
- Rigid Carbon eXact tubing
- Support weight up to 12 kg
- Weighs up to 405 g
- Not cheap
- Durability: average
Manfrotto XPRO MPMXPROC4
This is an awesome all rounder monopod. You will find the best combination of performance and portability. That’s what to look for in a top-rated monodpod.
- Very light, strong, and sturdy: rock solid
- User serviceable quick extension clamp
- Push and Pull clamp design
- Quality embossed rubber grip
- No carrying case
Dolica WT-1003 Monopod
This is an excellent choice when looking for a monopod that is extremely lightweight. This monopod is the best choice for a mirrorless camera. The Dolica WT-1003 Monopod will give you the most beneficial purchase to your photographic hobby.
- Support weight up to 6.7 lbs
- Weighs up to 0.8 lbs
- Extended leg reaches 67 inches
- Ultra-light weight aluminum alloy material
- Built-in adjustable wrist strap
- A little shaky
Benro Adventure MAD49A
This is a quality brand that is designed to allow you outstanding reach and rigidity at a considerable cost. This monopod is perfect for studio use.
- Heavy leg weighing over 200g
- The tallest stand of all monopods on this list
- Sturdy and rigid aluminum tubing
- Plastic materials
AmazonBasics Carbon Fiber Monopod
AmazonBasics Carbon Fiber Monopod is the most affordable choice for most travel photographers. Overall, it’s light and durable comparing to the more expensive monopod. You’ll be amazed by its durability and how it provides rock solid support.
- Lightweight 8X carbon fiber
- Extender Tube is not quite reliable with a heavy camera and lens attached
- Weak alkalies heel
Vanguard VEO 2 AM-234TU Shooting Stick
You should not wait if you can afford to this under $100 monopod. Like other Vanguard products, this VEO 2AM-234TU is the best monopod for travel for its price.
- Easy to fold and lock
- Soft rubber handle
- Heavy weight
- The bottom portion is not strong
Manfrotto Compact Extreme 2-in-1 Monopod & Pole
This Manfrotto monopod is the best for mirrorless camera and Gopro camera photographers. It’s quite handy and light, although the head should have been much better. Its thumb screw on the head jiggles and makes noise. The product also works great with a 360 camera.
- Sturdy aluminum
- Best for small cameras
- Amazon’s Choice
- Not built to last
DIGIANT MP-3606 Professional Camera Monopod 70″
This professional heavy duty monopod is the best product for any DSLR camera with heavy lenses. In addition to this, you can rotate the monopod 360 degree on the tripod base when you release the blue part. What’s else to like about this? Well, its smooth tilt and panning are essentail. It’s easy to manipulate quickly for some best shots. I also love the quick release camera attachment.
- Smooth tilt and panning
- Strong and sturdy
- Best for the money
- Not quite durable
FOSOTO Portable Travel Walking Stick Carbon Fiber Camera Monopod Unipod
This carbon fiber monopod is for stabilizing SLR and compact cameras. It’s very ideal for outdoor photography. If you want the best lightweight monopod for hiking, then you shouldn’t have to look further. One of the reasons we recommend this product is because we love how easy it is to use this monopod.
The monopod comes with a convenient screw-in metal spike that is easy to install and provides great stability on dirt and grass. Made of carbon fiber, this monopod is lighter than aluminum, yet its strength is higher than that of steel. It also owns corrosion resistance and high-efficiency shock absorption.
- Shock absorption
- Carbon fiber for stability
- High quality mount
- Not very sturdy as expected