The Best Nikon Lenses for Sports
Sports photography can be a challenging task, particularly in low light conditions. Choosing the right lens is essential if you want to capture perfect action shots. Nikon is one of the most trusted brands for sports photography, and they offer a wide range of lenses to choose from. Here are some tips to help you find the best Nikon lens for sports photography:
- Look for a lens with a wide aperture – a lens with a wide aperture will allow more light to enter, making it easier to capture sharp and clear images in low light conditions. A lens with an aperture of f/2.8 or wider is ideal for sports photography.
- Consider the focal length – for sports photography, a lens with a long focal length is ideal as it will allow you to get closer to the action. A telephoto lens with a focal length of 70-200mm or more is recommended.
- Look for a lens with fast autofocus – in sports photography, the action is fast-paced, and you need a lens with fast autofocus to keep up with the action. Look for a lens with fast and accurate autofocus capabilities.
Some of the sharpest and fastest Nikon lenses for sports photography include:
- Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
- Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR
- Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
These lenses offer excellent image quality, fast autofocus, and are made with high-quality materials. They are all excellent choices for sports photography and will help you capture sharp and clear images of your favorite sports.
Also recommended: Best Bird Photography Lenses
A List of Top 10 Best Nikon Lenses for Sports
NIKON AF-S FX NIKKOR 200-500MM ZOOM LENS
The compact super telephoto zoom lens is perfect for birding and motorsports. This Nikon lens features 500mm of zoom power. Also, the focal range in this lens range from 200mm-500mm. It comes with a fast constant aperture for beautiful out of focus backgrounds. Finally, it is a lightweight Nikon lens.
- It comes with a fast constant aperture for beautiful out of focus backgrounds
- Slight chromatic aberration
NIKON 70-300MM F/4-5.6G ZOOM LENS
The maximum reproduction ratio in this Nikon lens is about 0.26x. The aperture range from 70mm-300mm. Also, it joins other top Nikon lenses have been made with a minimum focus of 1.5m. Last but not least, the minimum angle of view is 5 degrees. Finally, this Nikon lens will accept 62 millimeter filters.
- It will accept 62 millimeter filters
- Excellent image quality
- The sharpness varies at different vocal lengths
NIKON AF FX NIKKOR 80-200 MM F/2.8D ZOOM LENS
The 2.5x telephoto zoom lens is an ideal choice for sports, portraits, and nature photography. It has been made with a fast and constant f2.8 maximum aperture. The maker included ED glass elements for high resolution and high contrast images. The zoom lens maker could not forget the rotating zoom ring for precise zoom operation. Finally, it features an integrated coating that ensures exceptional performance.
- Wide aperture
- Bright contrast
- It does not have built in autofocusing motor
NIKON AF-S DX NIKKOR 24-70MM F/2.8G ZOOM LENS
It is one of the top zoom lenses ever made. It is a focal length range of 24mm-70mm. Also, this Nikon lens comes with a minimum focus distance of 0.38m. Last but not least, it boasts of exceptional low light performance. Finally, the durable Nikon lens for sports features 3 ED glass elements and crystal coat.
- Exceptional low light performance.
- 3 ED glass elements.
- It is a bit heavy.
NIKON 70-200MM F/2.8G ZOOM LENS
It is one of the most versatile Nikon lenses you will ever come across. This Nikon lens will capture exceptional images with extreme sharpness. Also, it has been praised by many people for its inner focusing system. The filter thread in this Nikon lens does not rotate. The vibration reduction system has with 4 stops and 2 modes of shooting.
- Great sharpness
- Highly adaptable
- They should have included an infrared focus index.
NIKON AF-S FX NIKKOR 28-300MM F/3.5-5.6G LENS
The highly regarded Nikon lens package comes with numerous signature benefits of Nikon. Additionally, this Nikon lens has been made to provide you with a high zoom range. Also, it features an ED mechanism. Last but not least, it boasts of edge to edge sharpness and no light fall off. Finally, it has a complex design that includes 19 elements.
- You will have an easy time focusing.
- High quality images.
- The highly preferred internal focusing is not available.
NIKON AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300MM F/3.5-5.6 G LENS
The focal range in this Nikon lens is equivalent to 450mm. The top Nikon lens comes with 14 groups. Also, it is among the very few lenses that have been made with three lens elements and ED lens mechanism. You will be able to take images of the highest quality when you go for this Nikon lens. The silent focusing is excellently installed.
- The silent focusing is excellently installed.
- Perfect resolution.
- No aperture ring.
NIKON AF-P DX NIKKOR 10-20MM F/4.5-5.6G
It is something you would not want to leave behind if you love sport’s photography. It is an affordable sports Nikon lens. Also, this lens is compatible with most Nikon cameras released after 2013. It features a wide angle that shows clear and crisp images. Finally, it is small and lightweight.
- Small and lightweight
- Superfast focus
- Plastic mount
NIKON AF-S DX 55-200MM F/4-5.6 G VR LENS
This product is definitely good for its price at which it offers itself. You can use this Nikon lens without creating wear and tear issue. Also, it boasts of extra low dispersion that minimizes chromatic aberrations. This Nikon lens is lighter than its predecessors. It features vibration reduction image stabilization.
- It boasts of a premium look
- Light weighted
- The AF motor is noisy
NIKON AF FX 24MM F/1.4G ED LENS
It is made with a wide angle view. Additionally, this Nikon lens will provide you with superior sharpness. Also, it will minimize chromatic aberration even at the widest aperture settings. Furthermore, the lens elements will virtually eliminate coma and other types of aberration. It comes with a rear focus to provide smooth and fast auto focus.
- Smooth and fast auto focus
- It eliminate coma and other types of aberration
- The screws are very sensitive.
- DPReview – “Best Nikon Lenses for Sports and Action Photography in 2022” Link: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/1619270481/best-nikon-lenses-for-sports-and-action-photography
- Photography Life – “Best Lenses for Sports Photography” Link: https://photographylife.com/best-lenses-for-sports-photography