The Best Medium Format Cameras
Medium format cameras are a great option for photographers who want to take their photography to the next level. They offer a number of advantages over traditional DSLRs, including larger sensors, better image quality, and more creative control.
If you’re thinking about buying a medium format camera, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. First, medium format cameras can be quite expensive. Second, they can be more difficult to use than traditional DSLRs. Finally, they require a different type of lens than traditional DSLRs.
If you’re a beginner, there are a few medium format cameras that are a good option. The Hasselblad 907X 50C is a great all-around camera that offers excellent image quality and a wide range of features. The Fujifilm GFX 50S is another great option for beginners. It’s a bit more affordable than the Hasselblad, and it offers a slightly smaller sensor, but it still produces excellent image quality.
If you’re on a budget, the Sigma fp is a great option. It’s the most affordable medium format camera on the market, and it still offers excellent image quality.
No matter which medium format camera you choose, you’re sure to be impressed with the results. Medium format cameras offer a level of image quality that you can’t get with traditional DSLRs. If you’re serious about photography, a medium format camera is a great investment.
Here are a few of the things to consider when choosing a medium format camera:
- Sensor size: Medium format cameras have larger sensors than traditional DSLRs. This means that they can capture more light and detail, resulting in better image quality.
- Image quality: Medium format cameras produce some of the best image quality available. This is due to their larger sensors and high-quality lenses.
- Creative control: Medium format cameras offer more creative control than traditional DSLRs. This is because they have a wider range of settings and features.
- Price: Medium format cameras are more expensive than traditional DSLRs. This is due to their larger sensors and more complex design.
If you’re looking for a camera that can produce stunning images with a high level of creative control, a medium format camera is a great option. Just be prepared to pay a premium for the quality.
Also recommended: Best Cinema Cameras for Filmmakers
A List of Top Best Medium Format Cameras for Beginners
LEICA S (Type 007)
Considered to be one fastest medium format camera with advanced features, this German designed camera offers a complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (CMOS) sensor. This cameras able to record in 4K, keep uncompressed videos, that are are recorded on a external recorder which is optional, has an interface of HDMI type C.
- A CCD from the S-E
- ISO range of 6400
- Live view auto-focus
- Large size sensor for photo sharpness and clarity
- Not cheap
As a video maker that is 4K , this medium format camera is able to switch from video recording to still image, its microphone terminals is adjustable and able to record audio manually while visual monitoring sound levels during a recording session. This camera has a unique feature that makes the camera switch off when temperature in the device is to high. Camera has a recording time for movies of up to 25 minutes. Just like other recommended medium format cameras recommended in this review, the Pentax features a fast and accurate focus & metering. It’s powerful & easy to use. Period.
- 51.4 effective mega-pixel CMOS sensor
- 43.8mm x 32.8mm CMOS sensor
- full HD movies and 4K Interval shooting
- Real Time Scene Analysis with 86,000 pixel sensor
- Fast and accurate focus & metering
- Autofocus: not good enough for fast moving subject
- Video quality: average
FUJIFILM GFX 50S
Looking for a affordable medium format cameras? The Fujifilm GFX 50s is for you. This compact and lightweight mirrorless medium format camera is able to capture video in HD in different film simulation modes. It also has focus peaking, with options to adjust the microphone that is internal. It has an intuitive layout of controls and buttons and is very compact for handling.
- A mega pixel of 51.4 resolution
- Robustness and durability
- Great image quality
- Auto-focus: not so fast
This is the first-ever medium-format mirrorless camera from Hasselblad. This Swedish made medium format camera is suitable for taking videos and filming. Just like other medium format camera, the price is not cheap. It’s not a kind of budget camera for beginners. After all, you’d get the kind of photographs that are larger than life.
- Built in WiFi, GPS, dual SD slots, USB 3.0 type-C connector
- Full HD video with CMOS sensor offering a 8272 by 6200 pixels
- 50 megapixels CMOS sensor
The Hasselblad h6d cameras suitable for video capturing in HD (1920 * 1080p) or UHD 4K ( 3840*2160p). With advanced features like WiFi this cameras able to record family events and shot clips. There are some reviews that compare the Hasselblad h6d with Nikon D850. The comparison is like putting an apple next to an orange. They’re completely two different beasts.
- 4K full HD RAW video at 30 fps
- Great performance in ISO in low light
- The price is not cheap
Pentax 645D 40MP Medium Format Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD Screen
It’s tough not to include this Pentax 645D for its fully weather sealed and coldproof design resists rain, snow, dust and other environmental hazards. The crystal clear image quality captured by this Pentax medium format camera is just awesome. The only downsize is the camera body is too big and heavy for traveling and hiking.
- 40 megapixel CCD sensor for a resolution of 7264×5440
- Dual slot SD/SDHC memory card support
- Responsive 11 point SAFOX IX+ autofocus system
- No image stabilization
- No wide range of lens choices
Fujifilm GFX 50R 51.4MP Mirrorless Medium Format Camera
How many DSLR cameras you’ve got in your collection? It’s time to retire them with this Fujifilm GFX. You’d be amazed when you open the files on your computer to see the photographs taken with this camera. The weather-sealed body is ideal for travel photographers. Overall, the Fujifilm GFX 50R would beat all your full fram DSLRs in your collection.
- 51.4MP medium format
- 43.8 x 32.9mm sensor
- Weather and dust resistant
- Dual memory card slots