For most filmmakers, choosing the best cinema camera is a tough task. With many key features, it’s time consuming to find the ideal cinema camera for filming.
Commercial studios and professional filmmakers use top class cameras to produce video content, films, and documentaries.
The best cinema camera should be:
- able to record 4K RAW
- have dual memory card slots
- within your budget range
- A List of Top 10 Best Cinema Cameras For Filmmaking in 2019
- 1. Canon EOS C100 Mark II Cinema Camera
- 2. Canon EOS C200 EF Cinema Camera
- 3. Canon EOS C300 Mark II
- 4. Blackmagic Design URSA Mini Pro 4.6K Camera with EF Mount
- 5. Sony PMW-300K1 XDCAM HD Camcorder
- 6. Panasonic Lumix GH5
- 7. Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Camera
- 8. Nikon D850 Filmmaker’s Kit
- 9. Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II 4K Mirrorless Camera
- 10. Panasonic AU-EVA1 5.7K Super 35 Handheld Cinema Camera
- 11. Nikon Z7
- 12. Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
- Good to Know
A List of Top 10 Best Cinema Cameras For Filmmaking in 2019
1. Canon EOS C100 Mark II Cinema Camera
This advanced Canon EOS C100 Mark II version is the most popular cinema camera for indie film and documentary. This camera can work well with any EF-mount lenses of Canon, making it a good option for professional videographers. What’s more? With a bigger EVF, it comes with a built-in dual pixel for fast auto-focus.
- Built-In Dual Pixel CMOS AF Hardware
- Super 35mm 8.3MP CMOS Sensor + EF Mount
- 3.2″ 1.62m-Dot Touchscreen LCD Monitor
2. Canon EOS C200 EF Cinema Camera
Along with the Canon EOS C200B, the C200 model is the latest version of EOS cinema camera with many advanced features. It allows a cinematographers to shoot high-quality footage and movie clips. To provide more flexibility, Canon EOS C200 EF Cinema Camera can be attached easily to drones, gimbals, and other stabilizer systems.
- 35-mm CMOS sensor
- 2 XLR audio connectors
- RAW light feature
3. Canon EOS C300 Mark II
With advanced technologies such as a perfect 35-mm sensor and great image processor, the EOS C300 is another top choice from Canon for filmmakers.
The solid and great build, the camera body is ideal for bigger lenses. The C300 Mark II cinema camera offers a bigger and faster AF phase detection as well as higher recording bit-rate.
- 2 XLR audio connectors
- Fast/slow motion recording
- Dual CMOS technology
4. Blackmagic Design URSA Mini Pro 4.6K Camera with EF Mount
What differentiates the Blackmagic from the rest is its super 35mm 4.6K sensor block.
Its ability to capture cinematic images is unbeatable. Please read this for a list of the best Blackmagic camera accessories.
- Super-35mm CMOS Sensor
- 4608 x 2592 Video up to 60p
- Compressed Raw Recording
5. Sony PMW-300K1 XDCAM HD Camcorder
The ability to use cinematic lenses with the full frame sensor make virtually every shot feature film quality. This Sony camcorder performs well in low light.
I recommend this Sony camera for its awesome picture quality and ultimate flexibility in shooting options. The only downsize is the battery.
- 3.5″ 960 x 540 Color LCD Viewfinder
- 1/2″ Exmor Full HD 3CMOS Sensor
- MPEG HD422 at 50Mbps
6. Panasonic Lumix GH5
Panasonic Lumix GH5 4K offers over 28 Lumix and Leica compact lens options. Its “mirrorless” design makes it a lighter, more compact camera body.
The stabilization has changed the way you can film weddings. It’s a thing of beauty to use a 70-200mm lens on a monopod for wedding toasts. The dual card slots is great to have.
As one memory card runs out of storage, it switches to the next. The GH4 does everything you want from a DSLR camera.
- 20.3MP Micro Four Thirds sensor
- Variable video frame rates
7. Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Camera
By featuring an ISO range of 100–32000 (expandable to 50–102400), the EOS 5D Mark IV camera is best for low-light movie shooting.
- 30.4 MP full-frame CMOS sensor
- 61-point AF system
- DCI 4K Video at 30 fps; 8.8MP Still Grab
8. Nikon D850 Filmmaker’s Kit
That’s the ultimate reason why Nikon has this complete D850 Filmmaker’s Kit. It’s a total game changer to shoot film using a high-end DSLR camera with all the accessories and lenses.
- 4K UHD Video Recording at 30 fps
- Multi-CAM 20K 153-Point AF System
- Native ISO: 64-25600, Extended: 32-102400
9. Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II 4K Mirrorless Camera
- New 20.4 Megapixel Live MOS Sensor
- 121-Point Dual Fast AF with Cross-Type On-Chip Phase Detection focusing
10. Panasonic AU-EVA1 5.7K Super 35 Handheld Cinema Camera
- Super 35mm 5.7K Sensor
- EF Lens Mount
- Records 4K up to 60 fps
11. Nikon Z7
With the updated firmware, the best ever mirrorless camera for video production is Nikon Z7.
For profession filmmakers, it’s not easy to find the best cinematic camera that’s lightweight in this revolutionary mirrorless design.
- Output RAW video over HDMI
- Apple ProRes RAW format (available on high-end cinema camera)
- 45.7MP image sensor
- Full-frame lens mount
12. Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
An updated version of the top rated Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera with Micro Four Thirds Lens Mount, the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K adds pixel remapping, better battery life, and more anticipating features.
Filmmakers are happy with the improved audio update capability.
- Full-size 4/3 sensor
- 4096×2160 resolution
- 4K DKI video recording at 60 fps
- 5″ touchscreen LCD
- 4 built-in microhpones
Good to Know
Digital cinematography is on the the rise. And it will continue to dominate the film industry for years. Although Canon is leading the DSLR market, it doesn’t stop there.
The best cinemas are ideal for shooting high definition video, cinema, and film quality.
With the 4K cinema cameras, professional filmmakers can produce world class quality of cinematic images and videos.
They use the cameras to create television commercials, music videos, and feature films.
To choose the best digital cinema camera, you must identify your primary use.
The best cinematography camera is the one that serves the story it’s helping to tell.
Therefore, as a cinematographer you should always make something good out of what is available to you.
More Camera and Accessory Reviews:
Note: This review was the most popular on SweetMemoryStudio.com in 2018.Disclaimer: All recommendations are impartial and based on user experience, with no bias to the products or the brand. The products in this post contain affiliate links which help support SweetMemoryStudio.com.