A mirrorless or an SLR camera? The mirrorless camera is taking on the SLR by storm. Buying the best mirrorless camera has never been easy. As a professional photographer, which camera should you buy? Sony is currently the leader in this market. However, you’ll find other choices from Nikon, Fujifilm, and Panasonic. In this list, you’ll find the selected top best mirrorless cameras this year for most professional photographers.
The best mirrorless camera for professionals should be:
- good for travel, wedding, and street photo shooting
- 4K video capable
- full frame
- A List of Top 15 Best Mirrorless Cameras for Professionals in 2018
- 1. Sony Alpha a7R III
- 2. Panasonic Lumix GH5
- 3. Sony Alpha a6500
- 4. Fujifilm X-T2
- 5. Sony Alpha a6000
- 6. Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
- 7. Sony a5100 16-50mm
- 8. Panasonic LUMIX G9 Mirrorless Camera
- 10. Samsung NX1
- 11. Sony a7 III Full-Frame Mirrorless Interchangeable-Lens Camera
- 12. Fujifilm X-T3 Mirrorless Digital Camera
- 13. Canon EOS R Mirrorless Digital Camera
- 14. Fujifilm X-H1 Mirrorless Digital Camera
- 15. Nikon Z 6: The Best Budget Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera
- My Picks
- #1: Sony A7 III
- #2: Fujifilm X-T2
- #3: Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5
- Good to Know
A List of Top 15 Best Mirrorless Cameras for Professionals in 2018
1. Sony Alpha a7R III
Sony Alpha a7R III is one of the top best mirrorless cameras this year. The Sony a7R III boasts of 42.4 megapixels of resolution. The NP-FZ100 battery can last for hours. Here’s my list of accessories for a7R series.
- 399-Point AF system & 10 fps shooting
- UHD 4K30p Video
- Sharp images
2. Panasonic Lumix GH5
Panasonic is among the leading manufacturers of high quality cameras. The Lumix GH5 is great for serious videographers. Key features include the 4K quality, which is as great as DSLRs. Compact and lightweight, it’s ideal for use under hostile weather conditions.
- 20.3MP Four Thirds sensor
- Compatible with LUMIX MFT lenses
- In-body stabilization support
3. Sony Alpha a6500
- Shoot 4K video
- Touchscreen display
- Easy to use
4. Fujifilm X-T2
Fujifilm cameras rarely disappoint. The Fujifilm X-T2 Mirrorless Camera offers superb image quality for a great experience. The high quality Fuji lenses make this camera great for video shooting. A compact, lightweight and robust body, the FUJIFILM X-T2 offers everything you need in a budget mirrorless camera.
- 24.3MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS III Sensor
- OLED Viewfinder
- Internal UHD 4K Video
5. Sony Alpha a6000
- It has a 24.3-megapixel APS-C sensor
- Weather resistant for use under hostile conditions
6. Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
This is the best mirrorless camera for your money. This Olympus model is a major upgrade of the E-M10. The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III is a the best mirrorless camera for beginners. This Olympus has the fastest-focusing.
- 16MP Four Thirds Live MOS sensor
- TruePic VII processor
- 5-axis image stabilization
7. Sony a5100 16-50mm
- 24.3MP of detail even in low light
- 179 phase-detect points for wider coverage
8. Panasonic LUMIX G9 Mirrorless Camera
Lumix camera series by Panasonic is very well known for its quality. The Lumix G9 is no exception. This Panasonic compact mirrorless camera is perfect for those who love taking selfie pictures. You’d be amazed by its fast auto-focus!
- 20.3-megapixel sensor
- UHD 4K Video Recording
- 80 megapixels high-resolution JPEG /RAW in-camera image
10. Samsung NX1
- 15 fps burst shooting with continuous auto focus
- 4K video
- hybrid AF system with 205 phase-detect points
11. Sony a7 III Full-Frame Mirrorless Interchangeable-Lens Camera
If the Sony Alpha a7R III is not within your budget ranges, you should consider this Sony a7 III as the best budget mirrorless camera. It comes with most the technologies and features of the more expensive a7R III.
- 693 phase-detection
- 425 contrast AF points
- Advanced 24.2MP BSI Full-frame Image Sensor
12. Fujifilm X-T3 Mirrorless Digital Camera
- 4K movie recording – internal SD card 4K/60P 4: 2: 0 10bit recording
- New 26.1MP X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor
13. Canon EOS R Mirrorless Digital Camera
Following Nikon’s announcement of Z 6 and Z7, this is Canon’s first mirrorless camera. The 30.3 Megapixel full-frame Canon EOS R is capable of shooting 4K 30P video. For accessories, gears, and kits for Canon EOS R camera, please read my list here.
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF, 5655 AF Points
- Touchscreen LCD and LCD panel
14. Fujifilm X-H1 Mirrorless Digital Camera
This is another Fujifilm mirrorless camera that deserves a place on this list. This high-end X Series lineup is robust and rugged. Its improved AF system is great in lower light and with smaller apertures.
- Weather resistant structure
- New In-body image stabilization
15. Nikon Z 6: The Best Budget Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera
The Z 6 is Nikon’s first full-frame mirorrless camera released in mid 2018. Nikon unveiled the Z 6 and the more expensive, high-end Z 7 on their 101st anniversary. In the photography community, this means a big deal. First and foremost, Nikon has to build these first mirrorless cameras on the top of a century of heritage. The Japanese camera maker wants to lead the digital camera industry despite it will have to play catch up with Sony, known for its A9 and A7 Alpha mirrorless digital Cameras.
Nikon Z6 is a high speed, low light model with 24MP camera for budget photographers. With the Z 6, you’ll be able to shoot photographs that are richer and more vivid than ever before. While it works with NIKKOR F mount lenses, this newest mirrorless camera will tag along with Nikon’s new mount adapter.
This mirrorless camera is the evolution of Nikon quality. What Nikon has learned over the past century has been utilized to make the Z 6 and Z 7.
#1: Sony A7 III
The best mirrorless camera for beginners: Sony a7 III. This is the kind of camera that will will boost your confidence as a photographer.
#2: Fujifilm X-T2
Fujifilm X-T2 is a fraction the price, size and weight of a Canon 5DS R or Nikon D810. In my conclusion, Fujifilm X-T2 is the best mirrorless camera with great price. There is also the FUJIFILM X-T2 Graphite Silver Edition, which has a multi-layer coating for an elegant and tactile finish. By packing in UHD 4K video recording, Fujifilm’s X-T2 aims to fill the needs of most photographers. This camera along with the 35mm f/2 (the only lens I have for it) weighs 1.5 pounds.
#3: Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5
The best mirrorless camera for 4K video is Panasonic LUMIX DC-GH5. The body is well balanced, weather resistant. It has a superb electronic viewfinder. It’s the best mirrorless camera for photojournalists, travelers, and professionals. The Panasonic LUMIX DC-GH5 is head to head with the Sony Alpha 7S II and Canon EOS 5D Mark IV.
If you’re on a budget (for just $600) you may also consider the Fujifilm X-A5, the newest mirrorless digital camera.
Good to Know
A mirrorless camera usually has a compact, rectangular body; some are styled like DSLRs with a ‘pentaprism’ on the top. The mirrorless camera is taking on the DSLR camera photography by surprise.
For decades, full frame DSLR cameras are powerful and the top choice among studio and travel photographers. The introduction of the mirrorless cameras is gradually changing our perception. With large sensors and interchangeable lenses of DSLR cameras, we hold a smaller, compact, and lighter camera body to capture stunning photos. The ILCs bring a lot of benefits to photographers.
This list will serve as a buying guide for most beginners and professionals who want to delve into the photography world. It’s the great time to start if you’re getting serious about doing photography.
The best mirrorless cameras will continue to offer more to photographers. Get one for yourself. Now is the great time.