Top 20 Best Nikon Lenses for Landscape (2019)
Are you looking for shooting sharp photographs of birds in the wild? Most wildlife photographers generally need good field craft skills. With your Nikon DSLR camera, you can attach the best telephoto lens for shooting wildlife. To get the most out of your wonderful wildlife photography, you need one of the best Nikon lenses. Read our Basic Guide to Camera Lenses for Beginners!
As part of my best lenses series for beginners, I present this review of the top rated Nikon lenses most photographers should have. Here’s a rundown of the top best Nikon lenses for wildlife. What to look for when buying the best Nikon lens for wildlife and landscape photography:
- Focal length
- Wide aperture
- Sharpness of the photos and quickness of auto-focus
A List of Top 20 Best Nikon Lenses for Wildlife Photography in 2019
Table of Contents
1. Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Lens for Nikon
This high-speed Sigma lens for Nikon DSLR camera is best for capturing wildlife, nature, aviation, and even racing. What I like about this Sigma lens is that it’s much cheaper option than the one from both Nikon and Canon. It will also work with APS-C sensors with an effective increase in focal length.
- Aperture Range: f/2.8-22
- Fast Constant Maximum Aperture
- Optical Stabilizer
- Hyper Sonic AF Motor
- Dust- and splash-proof construction
- Fast, quiet, and smooth auto focusing
2. Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6 VR Lens
- F-Mount Lens/FX Format
- Aperture Range: f/5.6 to f/32
- Three Extra-Low Dispersion Elements
- Super Integrated Coating
- Fast, near-silent focusing performance
- Sharpness, clarity, and color fidelity
3. Nikon 300mm f/4 VR Lens
For those photographers with Nikon D500, having this Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR is perfect for bird photography. Why? Outdoor and nature photographers would be amazed by the combination of the Silent Wave Motor AF system and Vibration Reduction. If you are on a budget, my choice would be the this Nikon 300mm f/4 VR Lens.
- F Mount Lens/FX Format
- Aperture Range: f/4 to 32
- One Phase Fresnel & One ED Element
- Nano Crystal & Super Integrated Coating
- Speed, light weight
- Maximum sharpness and clarity with virtually no chromatic aberration or ghosting
4. Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED Vibration Reduction
Believe it or not, the Vibration Reduction (VR II) helps lower the effects of your Nikon DSLR camera shake. As a result, this will mak it possible for photographers to shoot at as many as four shutter speeds slower, assuring sharper images.
If you want a long lens, this is the lens to buy. With a Nikon D850, this takes extremely sharp photos down to the pixel level. It also works great with a 1.4x teleconverter.
- Quality matches the weight
- The combination of auto focus and vibration reduction
5. Nikon AF FX NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED Vibration Reduction II DSLR Lens
A fast, prime telephoto lens that wildlife photographers dream of. It’s also one of the best lenses ever created for action photography. Whether you want to shoot Judo, swimming, sailing, and cross country, you can rely heavily on this Nikon AF FX Nikkor 200mm lens.
- Great image quality
6. Nikon releases the AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR
This is the newest super-telephoto zoom lens with a built-in 1.4x teleconverter from Nikon in 2018. This Nikon lens provides professionals who shoot action from a distance, such as for field sports, with superior agility and operation, and the latest optical performance.
7. Sigma 150-600mm 5-6.3 Contemporary DG OS HSM Lens for Nikon
- Lightweight and compact
- Water and oil repellent coating on front glass
8. Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD for Nikon DSLR Cameras
- Moisture-resistant construction
- Advanced Optical Technology
9. Nikon 500mm f/4.0G ED VR AF-S SWM Super Telephoto Lens
- Ultra high-speed auto-focus
- New Tripod Detection mode for vibration reduction
- Edge-to-edge sharpness
10. Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM SLD Ultra Telephoto Zoom Lens
- Quiet & high-speed auto focus
- 10x high zoom
- Ideal in low-light
11. Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S NIKKOR Lens
This Nikkor Lens stands top of the list for both its price and values. Most of my friend photographers I talked to find it worth the investment.
- Wide-angle to medium telephoto zoom capability
- Advanced optics for outstanding photo integrity
- Rugged construction for high-grade protection against dust and moisture
12. Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX NIKKOR Lens
This is the best Nikon lens for beginners who want to start shooting landscape photos. Although it’s a budget Nikon lens, you can expect an outstanding low-light performance. Therefore, it makes it perfect for shooting landscapes during the dark.
- f/1.8 aperture for blurring the background and setting the focus sharply on the subject
- 35 mm focal length for achieving a natural-looking shot
- Silent Wave Motor (SWM) technology for fast focus without noise
- Aspherical lens elements to prevent lens aberration
13. Samyang 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC Manual Focus Lens
- Ultra-wide-angle 14mm lens with an approximately 90-degree angle of view for ultra-dramatic shots
- Hybrid aspherical lens and glass aspherical lens built in the body for exceptionally sharp and high-definition images
- Conforms to APS-C (1:1.5x) size digital imaging format
- Super multi-layer coating to reduce lens flare and ghosting
14. AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
This Nikon lens provides a 27-83mm equivalent range and has built-in image stabilization. This compact, lightweight lens is ideal for wide-angle shots and fast action. The VR image stabilization helps to produce sharp photos, steady videos and enhanced low-light capabilities
- Focal Length Range: 18 – 55 mm
- Maximum Aperture: f/ 3.5-5.6
VR (Vibration Reduction) Image Stabilization: Yes. Lens shift using voice coil motors (VCMs)
- Mount Type: Nikon F-Bayonet
15. Samyang SYIO35AF-E 35mm f/2.8 Ultra Compact Wide Angle Lens
In addition to being compatible with Nikon camera, this Samyang lens can work with Sony E and A mounts, Canon, Pentax, Micro Four Thirds and Fuji X-Mount. It’s a small yet powerful lens for travel, environmental portraits, stealthy street shooting, and landscapes.
16. Sigma 12-24mm F4 DG HSM Art Lens
- 12-24mm focal length
- F4 maximum aperture
- Ring-type Ultrasonic Focusing
- Available in Canon EF, Nikon F (FX) and Sigma mounts
17. Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC
This interchangeable lens is also ideal for beginners. This Tomron lens is another best budget lens for the hobbyists and casual photographers.
- For APS-C DSLR cameras
- Vibration Compensation for sharp handheld shooting
- Compatible Mounts Canon, Nikon, Sony 3
18. Nikon Landscape & Macro Two Lens Kit
- Vibration Reduction (VR) image stabilization for sharper handheld shooting
- Compact, lightweight, durable design
19. Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Ultra Wide Angle Fixed Lens
- Lens not Zoomable
- Minimum Focusing Distance of 10.8 inches
- Focal Length -14 mm
20. Sigma 14mm f/1.8 ART DG HSM Lens
- Ultra-wide angle of view
- Handcrafted in Aizu, Japan
Good to Know
What are the best Nikon lenses for landscape photography? For Nikon photographers, having the best lenses for landscape means that you will enjoy more during your travel. It’s tough to find the right Nikon wide angle lens. Do you need a Nikon wide angle lens to capture breathtaking landscape views?
Here’s the best Nikon wide angle lenses for landscapes. Most landscape photographers love the beauty of mountains, lakes, and natural wonders of the planet. With the best wide-angle lenses, photographers can achieve greater results by adding depth and drama to landscapes, architectural photographs, and still-life, photojournalism, wedding, sports, and even portrait.
As I wrote early (Best Leica Camera Lenses), the optical lenses help travel photographers to achieve much more. The capability to extend your DSLR photography to new wider horizon is primarily through the lenses, which allows you to capture your imagination wider.
As you’ve just gone through this review, you now have a better idea of which lens is best for your landscape photography pursuit. There are two key factors here to decide: are you going for a budget lens or else?
Whichever lens you choose, this list is a work of many hours that I put together to make easier for those who want to start getting into the landscape photography by choosing the right wide angle lens for your Nikon DSLR camera.
Do you love documenting animals in the wild or the amazing natural scenery of the outdoors? In wildlife photography, photographers do never want to miss the best moment. Wildlife photography takes skills, patience, and lots of luck. As two veteran National Geographic photographers pointed out “Telephoto lenses are a must for wildlife photography—how long depends on how close you can get and on the size of your subject. I made most of these cheetah pictures with a 300mm f2.8, but that’s because they were so tolerant of me. Birds, small and flighty, need really long lenses.”
After getting one of these high quality Nikkor lenses for wildlife photography, you’ll be able to enjoy capturing birds in flight or bears on the hunt.
Thanks to the accessibility of digital cameras and lenses nowadays, shooting photos of beautiful birds is another extraordinary journey.
As some photographers put it: the best birding lens for Nikon is the one that capture the subjects with great image quality without having to compromise.
With the best lens, wildlife photographers can stand a chance to win a national and international wildlife photography competitions of the year. Keep it up your great work!