Top Best Camera Microphones (2020)
Not surprisingly, our DSLR camera’s built-in mic is not great enough for recording audio. Instead, you’ll want one of the best shotgun mics available today.Whether you record interviews or filming a YouTube video, having the best external microphones can capture crisp and clear audio. What is the best DSLR microphone? In this list, you will find the top best camera microphones. An external microphone is an essential accessory for DSLR camera most of us need to have. The camera can capture the real world. If you can add an extra accessory to make your camera even more powerful. This is a list of the best external microphones for cameras this year. The best shotgun microphones for cameras should be:
- easy to use
- high quality audio
A List of Top Best Camera Microphones in 2020
Table of Contents
Rode VideoMic Pro
Rode is an excellent and reliable company, considering their history dates back to the year of 1967. The first microphone on this list is the Rode VideoMic Pro. This microphone is connected to the camera via 3.5 mm stereo mini jack and offers a variety of level and filter controls on the back of the mic.
- Pure crystal clear audio
- Ultra compact (150 mm long) and lightweight at only 85 grams
- 9V battery that lasts for over 70 hours of use
- Shock mounting and a built-in foam widescreen
The next microphone on this list is the Nikon ME-1. With this microphone, you are able to record crystal clear audio and reduce the auto-focus noise of your compatible Nikon camera. The low cut filter reduces wind noise and other low frequency noise.
- Standard 3.5 mm stereo mini jack
- Stunning quality sound
Audio Technica AT8004
Also the best value for the price is the Audio Technica AT8004. This microphone is the only handheld microphone on my list. This is an omni directional, high quality portable dynamic microphone. It’s ideal for interviews.
- A durable anti-shock housing
Sennheiser MKE 400 Shotgun Mic
The final microphone on this list is the Sennheiser MKE 400 Shotgun Mic. This company is most famous for their headphones. However, this microphone deserves special attention. This is a very ultra compact microphone, coming in at only 60 grams.
- This mic fits all DSLR cameras equipped with a 3.5 mm stereo mini-jack
- A single AAA battery that lasts up to 300 hours
GoPro Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter
This is a Gopro official accessory made for HERO6 Black/HERO5 Black/HERO5 Session. With this adapter, you can easily get your device to work with external microphones in most cases. This Gopro Mic Adapter could be used as a USB C extension for data and power on HERO5 Black and HERO5 Session.
- Connect any external mic with a 3.5mm jack.
- A bit bulky & awkward design
- Not so cheap
Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
- The sound is crisp, clean
- Too sensitive
MKE 2 Elements – Action Mic
- Durable and waterproof
- It’s resistant against dust, mud, snow and wind
Foxnovo Lapel Microphone
- Reasonable price
- Mic, adapter, and windscreen
- Excellent sound quality
- Connect the mic, you can’t use the micro-hdmi port
- Easy to use
Saramonic Go-Mic Professional
- No adapter or cable is needed
- Plug & Play design, convenient and easy to use
- No batteries required
- Audio interference with WiFi signal
Rode VideoMicro Compact On-Camera Microphone with Rycote Lyre Shock Mount
- Small and lightweight – only 80mm (3’) long and 42gm (1.5oz)
- No battery required
- Metal microphone body
Sony ECMCS3 Clip style Omnidirectional Stereo Microphone
This is the best low cost Lavalier microphone you can buy for your Gopro camera. When it comes audio products, I love Sony more than other brands. Sony has the quality and reputation in this category. You can also read my review about Sony Bluetooth Headphones.
- Microphone rotates for flexible placement
- Best yet inexpensive microphone
Shure VP83 LensHopper Condenser Microphone
- Excellent build quality
- Not very durable under long, extreme use
Opteka VM-100 Video Condenser Shotgun
- Noise Reducing Suspension System
- Cheaper than Rode VideoMic Directional Video Condenser Microphone with Mount
- Battery is required
Countryman B3W4FF05BSR B3
This external mic is perfect for theater, news anchors, interviews, and lecturers. The Countryman sound products are known for quality and durability. The B3 omnidirectional wireless round lavaliere microphone is best for theater, news anchors, interviews, and lecturers.
- Resistant to moisture and perspiration for use in hair, on the body, or in bad weather
- A bit expensive
- Highly resistant to moisture and perspiration for use in hair, on the body, or in bad weather
- Standard gain (no band) for most uses
Good to Know
Depending on the DSLR or mirrorless camera you’ve got, some cameras can have a built-in microphones. However, having a top-rated shotgun microphone can be essential for many purposes. Hopefully, this list is informational and provides you with a variety of the best on-camera shotgun microphones for your easier selection. If you’re willing to invest in the best camera microphone, I’d recommend that you buy the Rode VideoMic Pro.
Shooting high quality video with the camera is the first step. Going for an adventure and you want to maximize your best chance of capturing both video and sound.