Best Travel Tripods (2019 Buying Guide)
Travel photographers need a lightweight, strong, and sturdy tripod. A great travel tripod is one of the must-have accessories, especially for travel photography. The best camera tripod is a travel companion you can easily take it with you when you travel or backpack. A camera tripod for travel or spot scoping comes in all shapes, weights, heights, and styles. What’s the best tripod for travel today? A good tripod should compatible with almost all digital cameras, DSLRs, and camcorders with 1/4″ thread mounting. There are two kinds of tripods: good ones, and portable ones. The range of shooting provided by the tripod should wide for object high on ground and for those close to the ground.
In this buying guide, I’ll walk you through the top best tripods for travel and spot scoping (plus protection carrying bags).
Top 20 Best Travel Tripods [& Bags] for DSLR and Mirrorless Cameras (2019 Buying Guide)
1. Geekoto Tripod, Camera Tripod for DSLR
The Geekoto Tripod can can rotate 360° and get free angles. Made from aluminum alloy, the tripod was built to last. Strong and sturdy for stable photo shooting.
This tripod is much more than you’d expect for the price. It’s very light and versatile, making it the best travel tripod for most professional photographers.
- Lightweight at only 1.53kg
- 8kg maximum load weight
- Great value for the price (comparing with Manfrotto brand)
2. MeFOTO BackPacker Air Tripod
This travel tripod is ideal for smartphones, compact cameras, action cameras and small mirrorless cameras. This is the best tripod for a backup or beginner setup for travel. It’s small and light but extends tall and stable, making it the perfect mini tripod to take with you on the road.
- Quality build
- Quick and easy to install
- Sturdy, super light, extends to eye level
3. Sirui W-2204 Waterproof Carbon Fiber Tripod
Folds smaller than comparably sized tripods with conventional leg designs. These are the features you should know about this Sirui W-2204 Waterproof Carbon Fiber Tripod, which is an ideal tripod for travelers.
- Full-sized, but folds down small
- Legs have an automatic leg angle lock mechanism
4. Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 Aluminum Tripod Kit
The Vuanguard Alta Pro tripod has unmatched flexibility, stability and enabling more angle possibilities than ever before. Its SBH-100 fluid-like ball head rotates 360 degrees and has smooth locking knobs, an outstanding loading capacity and fine-tuning functions. Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB is both taller and larger than the 264AB.
- 7.0kg load capacities
- Quick flip leg locks and rubber feet
- Magnesium die-cast canopy and anti-shock ring
5. Manfrotto MKBFRC4-BH Befree Carbon Fiber Tripod with Ball Head
Not surprisingly, there is hardly no list of top rated travel tripod without having one from Manfrotto. Made from carbon fiber, the compact design of this Manfrotto MKBFRC4-BH Befree is perfect for hiking and travel photographers who shoot landscape and wildlife scenes in the mountains.
- Weighs only 1.4 kg (3 lbs), and it’s 40 cm (15.7) when folded.
- Compact size, light weight, and ease of setup
6. Beschoi Camera Tripod M254
This is the standard universal tripod that offers you the elements to take professional photos! What I really like about this German-made Beschoi camera tripod most is that it’s lightweight but for heavy duty. Flexible Hook—When hang weight, the hook will stretch out, and retract automatically when take it down. The stand is an amazing stand. The legs are adjustable as the height you need.
- Made of high quality magnesium aluminum alloy,
- It’s durable and abrasion resistant.
- The legs are adjustable as the height you need.
7. Vanguard VEO 2 235CB Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod
This is also one of the best travel tripods from Vanguard. Made from high quality carbon fiber material, the Vanguard VEO 2 235CB is light, strong, and sturdy. You can use this as your travel tripod for heavy battery-gripped Canon 5D Mark 2 camera gear along with 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. The best, solid travel tripod.
- 3 mm, 5 section carbon fiber legs
- Multi-action ball head with 3 independent knobs
8. Sachtler Ace XL Tripod System with Aluminum Legs
This aluminum-made tripod works seamlessly with digital cinema camera for film-making. The reason I highly recommend this because many of us photographers prefer extremely lightweight that still provides maximum stability.
- Extremely lightweight
- Maximum stability
9. Manfrotto MVH502A Fluid Head
Manfrotto makes good quality tripod for cameras. This MVH502A is no exception. It’s a super lightweight tripod system kit for camcorders or DSLRs.
- A lightweight tripod system kit for camcorders or DSLRs up to 8.8 lb.
- Aluminum telescopic twin tube legs
10. Gitzo GK1545T-82TQD Series 1 Traveler Kit
This tripod is compatible with most video cameras, digital cameras, GoPro devices, and smartphones. It’s quite portable and useful, lightweight with a bag and easy to carry around. If the price is within your budget, I recommend you go for it over the Manfrottro.
- The premium price that comes with great quality
- Weight: 3.2 lb
- Supports lenses up to 200mm
11. Vortex Optics Pro GT Tripod Kit
It has a 3-way pan head that offers ultra smooth horizontal and vertical adjustment. It also had rubber feet and balanced hook that allows you to enhance stability. It contains aluminum legs (anodized) and leg lock (flip lever).
- Sturdy anodized legs with a rugged 3-way quick-release pan/tilt head
- Flip lever leg locks
- Not very light
12. Neewer Carbon Tripod (66”)
It can be used as a monopod and tripod. It offers you quick release features. It is highly heat and resistant. It contains RSS ball head. Overall, the price is worth for its value.
- 2-in-1 tripod: monopod
- Universal ball head design
- High-density carbon fiber tube
- Leg angle locks are not easy to un-latch
- Turning it to monopod requires efforts
13. Vanguard Alta Tripod Kit (Pro 264AB 100)
It is a very popular and best tripod. It has many exciting features like MAAC system, 3 leg angle. Good control for tilt and pan. It offers users very smooth fluid like movement without increasing weight.
- Magnesium die-cast canopy and anti-shock ring
- Quick flip leg locks
- Available in carbon fiber or aluminum
- Not great enough for professionals
14. ZOMEi Z818 Lightweight DSLR Tripod
It can hold heavy weight around 33 pounds with great flexibility. If you want a durable and sophisticated tripod then it best for you. It is very flexible due to adjustable led parts. Its compact design makes it perfect for fit in your bag.
- Compact design
- Lightweight: Anodic oxidation processed & anti-corrosion magnesium and aluminum alloy tube
- Not so easy to adjust legs
15. Celestron 82050 TrailSeeker Tripod
It is a very stable tripod designed to take pictures without wobbling too much. It is a good choice in this segment.
- Sturdy aluminum
- A two-way fluid pan head with quick release plate
- Connectors and leg locks: average quality
- Not very strong and sturdy
16. Bushnell Advanced Tripod
It is a sophisticated and very popular tripod. Its unique design makes it perfect for any occasion for most travel photographers.
- 3 padded foam leg cushions for comfort
- Durable and adjustable aluminum legs
- Strong and sturdy
- Legs are not quick release
17. Vanguard VS-82 Table-Top Tripod
It is a compact treat that can be placed on your table. It is suitable for indoor photography.
- Waterproof and fog proof
- Lightweight and compact
- Entry level: not for professionals
18. Swarovski Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod
It is highly robust tripod that is made up of carbon fiber and suitable for outdoor photography and shooting.
19. Deluxe Tripod of BARSKA
It can handle big cameras and binoculars. This tripod is best for those who want to take pictures of natural scenery.
20. Gosky Tripod
It is a very stable tripod that allows users to rotate head 360 degrees and tilt to backward and forward very easily.
A List of the Best Bags and Cases for Tripods and Monopods in 2019
Carrying your tripod is something you’ve got to do very carefully. By using the best tripod bag, you can make sure that your equipment arrives spotless to your destiny. These are the best bags and cases for most travel tripods and monopods you’ll ever find.
1. Bailuoni Tripod Carry Bag Pad Package
There’s pocket with a zip inside it and something which is very convenient is that the shoulder strap is removable, so you can change it when it’s worn out without having to change the whole bag. Besides, it includes a pair of strap handles to allow a switch from the shoulders to your hands when you’re carrying your tripod.
- 80cm long
- Best to carry a 31-inch long tripod
2. Neewer Heavy-Duty Photographic Tripod Carrying Case
This is one of the best tripod bags since it’s made of resistant vinyl, which makes it suitable to go through severe weather conditions. The smooth lining made of nylon which inside protects your equipment and makes the bag more resistant.
- Best for a tripod up to 36 inches long
- A pocket with a zipped outside
3. Neewer Photo Studio Equipment Large Carrying Case
The padded compartments make of this bag, one of the best tripod bags to choose from, a very suitable storage to carry other equipment and accessories needed in photography. It includes plastic buckles, which makes the bag more resistant when what you carry is heavier than average. It’s got a double zip that runs smoothly and quickly. Besides, moisture, dust, and dirt won’t stick or damage your tripod. The carry straps have an overlapping grip to make it easy to lift it. This is one of the best tripod bags I highly recommend.
- Carry a 36” tripod
- Shockproof and dust-proof
4. Slik Universal Medium Tripod Bag
This is a professional medium-size tripod bag. There are small pockets with zips and windows. The nylon shoulder strap is adjustable for your comfort since it’s long enough for you to fit it across your back.
- Hold up to the 23-inch tripod
- Made from nylon
- Includes a zip
5. Padded Tripod Case Bag by USA Gear
One of the best tripod bags has a size extension. Several tripod brands fit perfectly well in your heavy-duty bag that also includes a spacious pocket to keep your chargers and the other accessories. Enough proof of is durability is the three-year warranty provided by the manufacturer of a bag.
- Carry your 35-inch tripod
- Adjustable to carry smaller or bigger tripods
6. Tenba Transport 48in Rolling Tripod/Grip Case
One of the most favorite rolling tripod cases among travel photographers, the Tenba Transport is the best choice as it makes moving heavy loads easier. If you travel by plane frequently, you won’t regret having this Tenba rolling case for your tripods.
- Ball bearing wheel
- Smooth nylon and thickly padded bottom board
7. Neewer Photo Studio Equipment Trolley Carry Bag
I highly recommend this tripod bag with wheel. The Neewer Photo Studio Equipment Trolley Carry Bag is the best way to transport your equipment and storage place when they not in use.
8. Kuxiu for Zhiyun Smooth 4 Carrying Case
Looking for the best hard case for your smartphone gimbal stabilizer or small tripod? You should consider this budget hard case.
- Shockproof and dust-proof
- Comfortable carrying handle
9. USA Gear Padded Tripod Case Bag Holds Tripods
I like this USA Gear tripod case for its flexibility. The bag has a zippered extension that fits most tripods from 21″ and can expand to hold tripods up to 35″ long.
- Padded fabric
- Adjustable shoulder strap
10. LimoStudio Durable Photo Studio Equipment Carry Bag
The LimoStudio is the best tripod case with wheel and strap for most photographers who have loads of camera gears and accessories.
Good to Know
If you are a professional photographer or an amateur who loves to take awesome pictures, It is very possible that you might hear about the tripods for a spotting scope. Basically, it has three stands that provide you with a stable and firm base to link your scope. By doing so, it allows you to take smooth and well focused photos even at full zoom or full magnification. It also eliminates the vibrations very effectively.
Do you want to buy the best tripod for spotting scope? You should look for many factors like height, model, design and your purpose. However, there is good news for you we have reviewed the tripods for a spotting scope for you.
Tripods for spotting scope are one of the most popular types of tripod available in the market because it provides extra stability and flexibility as well. It is lightweight and compact. These features make it the first choice of buyers. There are many types of tripods for spotting scope are available in the market but all you have to do is chose best tripod for spotting scope according to your needed and purpose.
The best case for tripods will make travel photographers easier. The case will help you to carry and protect multiple tripods and gears.
In this above list, I include all the essential cases you can consider: small tripod bag, tripod hard case, tripod carrying case with strap, and tripod case with wheels.
What provides the stability for your DSLR and mirrorless camera? For travel and studio photography?
The tripod comes with a three-legged camera support. In photography, we use a tripod to hold a camera steady without movement and vibration.
There are many brands, styles, and variations, buying the right tripod for travel photography can be a challenge. Why? The bigger the size of a tripod, the stronger it can hold your camera and lens. But, the downsize is that it’s really a challenge for most travel photographers to pack and carry with a heavy weight tripod.
Having the best tripod for your primary use and need is crucial. The best camera tripod can help take your digital photography to a new whole level.
Most professional photographers invest in the best tripods, which is one of the camera accessories to carry with them.
The camera tripods can your be companions that will serve you various purposes. Experienced photographers who do landscape photography or others will also own a few to serve their specific purposes.
This list gives you ideas and options to choosing the top rated travel tripod that meet your need and budget.
My advice is that you spend on the quality tripod that you can easily take with you wherever you go.
Well-made tripod will last long. What’s my pick for the best travel tripod? I recommend the Vanguard VEO 2 235CB Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod, which is ideal for those who travel a lot with their DSLR or mirrorless camera and lenses.
After all, buying the best travel tripod is a good investment that can last you your entire photographic life.